September 3, 2020
In this episode of Deep Dish, we explore the history of the ice cream sandwich! How many different types of ice cream sandwich are there around the world? What does the Jersey Shore have to do with ice cream sandwiches? Which member of the Jersey Shore are we related to? You'll have to listen to find out!
- We start off with a recap of the exotic fruit party we had last weekend. (Spoilers: The fruits were exotic.)
- Some people take ice cream sandwich a little too literally.
- We establish an interesting connection between ice cream innovations and hot dog vendors, for some reason.
- Chipwiches have a surprisingly convoluted history that almost resulted in them disappearing forever.
- Another edition of shitty old recipe that stretches the limits of what constitutes a salad!
August 27, 2020
In this episode of Deep Dish, we hang out around the campfire and roast up some s'mores! How long have we been roasting marshmallows around fires? Did the person who wrote down the s'mores recipe have the best Girl Scout leader name? You'll have to listen to find out!
- A brief trip down memory lane of school cafeterias/school lunches.
- The history of s'mores basically stops at the invention of s'mores because they're so perfect! What else is there to talk about?
- Marshmallows used to be medicine!? Well... sort of!
- An insane deep-dive on one of the biggest fad-diet purveyors of all time, Sylvester Graham!
- We finally praise England for one of their contributions to the culinary world!
- A somewhat more recent edition of Shitty Old Recipes that tragically combines s'mores with hamburgers... (It's as terrible as it sounds.)
August 20, 2020
Deep Dish is back! After our brief hiatus to collect feedback, we've returned with our best episode yet. This week, we discuss the surprisingly ancient history of lemonade! Where did lemons come from? What's an ade? Your answers await!
- Lemons actually originate from a cool, old lineage of citrus fruits that sound like something from a shonen anime!
- Erik and Meg are in an incredibly anti-government mood thanks to an unfortunate letter from the IRS. Where's Ron Paul when you need him?
- On that note, Erik and Meg officially decide they hate the federal government more than annoying children.
- The origins of pink lemonade in particular would make everyone with a foot fetish proud!
- Another edition of Review Roast takes place, defending Brickhouse Brewery & Restaurant of Patchogue, from review trolls... some of which sound like they were written by an 18th century playwright, bizarrely.
Next week we'll be focusing on one of the truest summertime treats that exist, though strangely only in America! These toasty, campfire favorites are simple, yet satisfying. Think you know what it is? Write in or comment with your guesses, and if you're correct, we'll give you a great bit shout-out in a future episode!
Until then, stay hungry!
August 10, 2020
Following our trial run of five episodes, we've decided to do a bonus episode while we work on taking your feedback and suggestions for the future of Deep Dish! This episode is a bonus, so there's no topic, no research, just food talk!
- Camping food is awesome! We share some tips for campfire cookouts and what to make!
- PCFG Erik and Meg visit the new Lidl grocery store that opened recently! As the Germans tend to be, their grocery stores are efficient and clean.
- Speaking of Germany, Shitty Old Recipes returns with a recipe that combines chocolate cake with... fermented cabbage. Brilliant.
We're all-ears for constructive criticism! So please write in to firstname.lastname@example.org, or hit us up on Facebook and Instagram to let us know what you want more of and less of, in Deep Dish! Episode 7 will be back to normal, once we get some more feedback on the show! Until then, stay hungry!
July 30, 2020
In this episode of Deep Dish, we take you all the way back to Ancient Rome where everybody's favorite jiggly custard dessert, flan, was first created! It's a miracle we still eat this stuff considering how many collapsed empires it survived! In the spirit of custard, we also go over some Jell-o mold horrors from the 1960s! And uh, yeah, they're pretty bad.
July 23, 2020
In this episode of Deep Dish, we discuss the incredibly specific circumstances that led to banana bread's creation in the early 1900s! This sweet, quickbread seems so simple, but there's more to it than just someone thinking banana-flavored bread was be a good idea!
July 16, 2020
In this episode, we take a look at a true New York favorite, penne alla vodka. This rich, creamy, vodka-infused pasta dish has a disputed origin with some people claiming it was invented in Italy, and some saying it was invented state-side! Which was it? Listen to find out!
July 9, 2020
In this episode, we take a look at one of the most iconic foods in American history, hamburgers! Find out how a disgusting hockey puck of raw meat and bread turned into a beloved BBQ favorite! Then discover its path from a country-fair staple to fast food icon and more!
July 3, 2020
In the premiere episode of PCFG Deep Dish Podcast, Erik and Meg take a look at Irish Soda Bread. Discover the origins of this humble, easy, little bread loaf, and how it came to become a St. Patrick's Day favorite!